|“99 Nights” is a game brought to you by the developers of “Mizuguchi” (Q! Entertainment) and “Kingdom Under Fire” (Phantagram). If you have seen any videos from 99 Nights, the first thing that comes to mind is that this game is a hack and slash button masher. Unfortunately, that's 100% correct. |
The game’s story is set in a fantasy world where humans are warring with goblins. The player starts the game off as the main character, but you must play with all seven heroes to be able to explore their individual stories. Unfortunately, the story line is very weak and boring, along with most of the other missions you must complete.
The gameplay gets very old, very fast with lots of goblins rushing your party while your character, along with soldiers, kills them. There's one catch, the armies that help you out don't do any damage to the enemies. Yes, you read correctly, the accompanying armies can fight and shoot arrows until their hearts are content, but they will do no damage. I tried to understand this logic, but I can't think of a good reason to have allies on the screen if all they do is die. So, it’s up to you and your button mashing skills to kill everything.
“99 Nights” does do a good job of throwing hordes of enemies at you, but after countless times seeing it, it gets old. Killing at least 1,000 goblins per mission is easy, just run into the crowd and start mashing buttons, and then repeat this over and over again until the game is finished.
This is not DMC3. After diving in to this button masher, I was just further reminded of how good DMC3 was, and how bad this game is. The game play itself is definitely lacking and the graphics are far from impressive. However, the cut scenes look very nice.
The final piece of the puzzle, the game play, is far from exciting or fun. After you have finished the first mission, it’s pretty much the standard flow of the game. Nothing changes. I was very disappointed with this title. If done correctly, it could have been a welcome change of pace from the normal hack and slash button masher. God of War and DMC3 are pretty much perfect. 99 Nights is not.
Its not all button mashing, though (just mostly). When you level up your character to around 15 or so you can really pull of some nice eye candy combos. However that is only about 10% of the game, so the other 90% is unfortunately button mashing.
I give 99 Nights a 6.4